Preview: Amazon Alexa games for kids that will keep your kids busy for hours!
If you own an Amazon Echo, Echo dot, or Echo Show, you already know how Alexa can make your life easier. Did you also know she can amuse the kids with fun and learning games? She can! Get the free printable list of Amazon Alexa games for kids! PLUS- If keeping the kids busy isn’t enough, Alexa has many ways to help you and your kids have a smooth school morning!
(We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)
As I’m standing in the kitchen holding open the refrigerator door hoping something will pop out, I can hear my kids fighting over an iPod in the background. If I can figure out something to make for dinner, it better be microwavable because there is no way I’ll be able to actually cook an entire meal without 100 interruptions. “Can I have a treat” “She’s hitting me” “Mom, the baby pooped”
Mother. Referee. Diaper changer. Chef… some days my head gets heavy from all of these hats.
Can’t the kids just keep busy for half an hour so Mom can get something on the stove?
Meet my friend Alexa.
I have done my best to provide you with the most accurate information but please see Amazon for exact product specification and features.
What is an Amazon Echo?
Amazon Echo, or Alexa as the unit is often called, is a hands-free device that uses voice controls to execute commands. Using an internet connection and your Amazon Prime account, you can use your voice to find out the time, the weather, play music, order a pizza, set an alarm, and even place an order through Amazon Prime.
Technically the unit is called an Echo (or Echo Dot, Echo Show, etc) and “Alexa” is like the brain of the unit. You say “Alexa” to engage the unit and give it a command. If you have a daughter named Alexa, don’t worry, you can change the engage word to Friend, Amazon, or Echo in the Amazon Alexa app under settings. This is also useful to do if you have multiple echo units. Giving each one a different “name” will make sure the correct unit you intend to use responds to you.
Amazon is constantly improving and upgrading the Echo. Once just a speaker tower, Echo now comes in options with a display screen (Echo Show), small units with video (Echo Spot), and kid edition (more about that next).
What is the Echo Dot Kids Edition?
Amazon has made a kid-friendly version of the Echo. It is a smaller unit with some pretty cool features and fun colors.
Echo kids features:
- Amazon parent solution dashboard that gives you control over time limits, see what the kids are accessing (and limit content), as well as pause the Echo when you need to
- a year of FreeTime Unlimited gives you access to over books, songs, games, and skills
- ad-free radio stations and premium kids skills from their favorite stations such as Nickelodeon and Disney
- Comes with a kid-proof case and 2-year warranty, because, you know, kids
Echos can also talk to each other acting as an intercom system in your house. You can call the kids for dinner or tell them “lights out” from one echo to another.
Kids can use Alexa to set alarms (i.e. wake me to Thunder by Imagine Dragon at 8 am tomorrow), find out the weather, ask the time, get simple homework help, and even play games.
Best Amazon Alexa games for kids
With all the amazing things the Echo (a.k.a. Alexa) can do, it would be great if it could entertain the kids just long enough for Mom to cook dinner! Luckily for us hungry moms, it can!
I compiled a list of some the coolest Amazon Alexa games for kids. The best part is that most of the games have some component of learning! Many teach letters, numbers, addition, memorization, use critical thinking skills, or encourage creativity. This list has options for kids from toddlers to school-aged children (while you can find games for all ages- even adults!- in the Alexa app).
These are our top 5 favorite Amazon Alexa games for kids:
Spongebob Challenge– this is a great game to help with memory skills. Kids hear an order for the Krusty Krab and have to answer questions about the order. It is the favorite of my children, hands-down.
Elmo Hide and Seek– Elmo can talk about letters or play hide-and-seek. He gives you sound clues about where he is hiding and kids have to guess. Great for preschoolers and toddlers.
Freeze Dancers– I thought my kids would be bored with a simple freeze dance but actually, they loved it! The game does more than just “freeze”, it also gives them challenges such as “hold hands and dance together”. It was like a fun dance party in the house. (I love this game for when I need to cook dinner)
Tickle Monsters– Fun and super simple family game! You add your family members’ names and ask Alexa to “ask Tickle Monster who is next”. She will say a family member’s name and that person gets tickled! The kids had a blast with this and they thought it was magic that Alexa said their names.
Silly Things– This is a cute game that gives ideas for creative play. It will say things like “Act like a robot that is having a glitch”. Such a fun way to get kids using their imagination instead of Youtube doing it for them.
If you have an Echo (or other Amazon device such a Fire Tablet) and want to add more kid-friendly content, try the Unlimited FreeTime plan. It gives you access to 16,000 books, videos, and apps. You can even grab a free trial: Amazon FreeTime Unlimited Free Trial
If you have Free Time Unlimited, you will have access to additional games and skills. Try searching for “Disney” or “Nickelodeon” to find TONS of additional content.
I have pulled these and 16 more Amazon Alexa games for kids into a free, easy to use (and print) spreadsheet!
***Get 16 more games/skills for kids in a printable sheet you can hang next to your Alexa for hours of fun. This FREE 2-page printable includes the skill/game title, command needed to initiate the skill, and a brief description of what the game does!***
A few more fun things you Alexa can do to entertain your kids:
- For a super funny laugh, ask Alexa to sing you a song. She might start by saying “I thought you’d never ask”
- In addition, if you are having a family game night, Alexa can roll a 12-sided die, flip a coin, or pick a card.
- Ask Alexa to rap for you. Seriously.
How can Alexa help get my kids out the door in the morning?
As if this product isn’t already super helpful, I was also able to find a ton of ways that Alexa can make school mornings run a little more smoothly.
As a parent, I am not sure whether mornings or bedtime is the bigger struggle. Alexa has ways to assist in both.
Here are several skills and cues that can help with school morning and more:
- Alexa can set an alarm in the morning and wake them up to their favorite song
- Ask her the weather to dress appropriately for the day
- Set a timer to end fights over bathroom time
- Use the announcements feature to announce when breakfast is ready or the bus is here
- Set reminders to stay prepared- for example, “remind me every Tuesday at 8 am that it is gym day”
- Ask Alexa for pancake recipes or breakfast ideas
- Use Smart Home features to ensure the kids turned off the lights and lock/unlock the doors (and monitor who/when doors are opened in the house. If your kids go home alone after school- this is an amazing peace-of-mind feature!)
- Set up a skill such as Lutron Connect to program a morning routine that will control lights, shades, and change the thermostat on a schedule
- Get homework help:
- Set up skills such as Uni Homework Planner to remind you of assignments due
- Use learning skills such as Learn Times Tables, Molar Mass, and Physics Formulas to help kids study for an upcoming test
- My School Calendar skill can keep track of sporting events and tests as well as homework assignments.
- Use Alexa to read books from Audible
- Start their day with a fun fact with skills such as This Day In History or Word of the Day Flash Briefing
- And when the day is finally done, Alexa can help you unwind with a guided Meditation (skill) or even sing you a lullaby.
Frankly, I don’t know how Alexa does it all because I am exhausted just writing about it 😉
If you are looking to keep the kid amused (and learning) with a device that can make everyone’s life easier- you found it.
I bet Alexa will be your new BFF too.
What are your favorite Amazon Alexa games for kids?