Fruit ice is a super easy way to help you drink more water and stay hydrated!
According to the Mayo Clinic, men need about 13 cups of water per day and women need about 9 cups. (These numbers can increase based on climate, activity, and health so always check with your doctor). Water can get boring after the first 5 cups or so and giving it a little flavor kick with fruit ice can help you meet your daily goal!
This is by far my favorite way to drink fruit water. These fruit cubes give the water a better flavor faster than even fruit infused water. They are easy to make and great to add to a water jug for parties or to keep in a pitcher in the fridge. My kids loved fruit ice as much as I did and as soon as the cubes were frozen we all had two glasses each! I was truly surprised at the quick flavor kick they added to the water!
This post contains affiliate links.
Here’s what you need:
-Ice cube tray
-Fruit chucks (cut small enough to fit in an ice cube)
-Fresh squeezed lemon
1. Start by cutting fruit into small chunks. For this recipe I used blueberries and oranges but you can use any combo of your favorite fruits.
2. Place fruit into ice cube tray separating to make any flavor varieties you choose.
3. Next squeeze a few fresh lemons. I used about 4 small lemons. A juicer makes it really easy! Here is the one I use:
(click image for details)
4. Next fill each cube about half way with lemon juice. *This is the secret to getting great flavor without having to let the fruit sit in the water overnight.
5. Fill the remainder of the cube with water.
6. Cover and freeze.
7. Add to your water for a healthy favor kick!
I love this as an option to kick the “juice” habit. Did you know there are about 20g of sugar in one 100% juice box?! Yep, it can say 100%juice, organic, etc. but it is still full of sugar. This is a healthier way to get your kids drinking water with a little flavor and a lot less sugar. Try letting the kids help make the fruit cubes and pick their own combinations. Being involved in the process can encourage them to take ownership of their creation and be more likely to drink it. (Read more about getting kids to eat healthy here: LINK).
Add these to the natural cold-remedy tea to cool it down or add more favor and vitamins!
Here are some fruit ice flavor suggestions:
-watermelon Mint (use only a very small mint leaf because a little goes a long way)!
-pineapple orange (substitute the lemon juice for fresh squeezed orange juice)
-lemon orange lime (any of the three can be the juice)
-lime mint (could be used in an adult beverage also?…)
You could use only water (instead of half lemon juice) if you prefer. Some flavors may not be complimented by lemon! Try orange or lime juice instead as desired.
Here are a few other tricks to help you drink enough water:
1. Use a pitcher/water bottle that marks or tracks the ounces such as these:
2. Drink a full glass of water each time you take your vitamins/medicines
3. Keep water with you at all times. This bottle keeps your water cool for up to 24 hours:
Drinking more water “flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells, and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues” (Mayo Clinic). Staying hydrated isn’t just good for you, it is necessary to maintain your health. (Always consult with your physician for medical advice). There is no time like the present to start drinking more water! Moms are very busy- make sure you are taking care of you!
Cheers! Or as we Italians say “Salute” (which, interestingly enough, means healthy!)
Leave a Reply