Orange Dreamsicle. Doesn’t that phrase just transport you right back to your childhood? In your mind, 8-year-old you is now standing on the sidewalk in front of the house you grew up in. It’s mid-summer sweltering hot but you don’t notice because you have a cool orange Popsicle filled with creamy ice cream goodness dripping down your fingers. Ah, childhood. Summer. Orange Dreamsicles…
I wish I could build a time machine to send you back to that summer- even just for a moment- to relive that carefree, indulgent innocence of childhood. Instead I’ll do the next best thing and give an Orange Dreamsicle Buttercream Icing recipe. Put it on your next birthday cake and you are automatically 8 years old- no matter how much the number of candles seems to disagree.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- Be sure to strain the fresh squeezed orange juice over a small strainer to avoid pulp in your icing.
- Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat (using a mixer) on low speed until mixed well.
- Beat on medium for additional 1-2 minutes until no lumps remain and icing is a creamy consistency.
New to Yummy? Read more here: LINK
Add to cakes, cupcakes, cookies- anywhere you would add icing. This consistency works great for cake/cupcake filling and frosting. For stiffer consistency, reduce orange juice to 3/4 cup and vanilla extract to one teaspoon. I also usually add meringue powder as a stabilizer for stiffer icing.
You might not be able to eat if off of a stick, but I hope this Orange Dreamsicle Buttercream Icing recipe gives you a little slice of childhood deliciousness 🙂
How much time did you spend chasing the ice cream truck? Have you done so as an adult? Be honest. (I do it every summer)! Leave a comment and share!
This looks delicious and something the kids would really enjoy thanks for sharing