Poem about school! Back to school poem with space to add your child’s or your student’s handprint!
Ready or not, it’s back to school time! This super cute poem about school and starting a new school year is a sweet way to commemorate your preschooler, kindergartner, or first grader’s first days! Save those little fingerprints at the beginning of the school year and see how much they grow by the end of the year!
(It’s the perfect addition to the fingerprint poems collection!)
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
One day you are pushing your newborn around in a stroller and virtually the next day you are putting them on a school bus. Okay, it may be a few years, but it doesn’t feel that way to a mom!
Your baby looks like a toddler standing at the bus stop or walking into their big kid school- no matter how old they are! Those years fly by so fast.
It is one of the reasons I wrote: “Preparing MOM for Kindergarten“. Mom needs to be prepared for this change just as much as the kids do!
Grabbing a set of those tiny little handprints gives mom something to reminisce about for years to come.
How to have a great first day of school
Wondering what to do on the first day of school? Try to make it smooth and fun:
- Be prepared! Knowing when and where you need to be can take some stress off the busy first day of school!
- Keep kids informed. When your child is clear about what to expect, it can help him/her feel more comfortable and relaxed about the day.
- Keep them involved. Letting them pick out their clothes (with some help as needed) and deciding what they want for breakfast (like these breakfast brownies!) are great ways to allow your child to have an active role. Feeling like you have some control over what happens can often help people (even kids) feel calmer. Here is what we do to end the morning wardrobe battles!
- Give your child- and yourself- GRACE on this stressful day– Things will NOT always go as planned but that’s okay. We can forgive ourselves and our children for any mistakes made on this hectic day and instead try to focus on the positives. Tomorrow will always come.
Oh, and make sure to capture sweet moments with photos and keepsakes like this poem about school and a set of handprints you can keep forever!
First day of school printable
Enter your email address below (or go here) and I will send a printable copy of the Back to School handprint poem right over to you by email (it’s free for email subscribers!)
You can print it out (I recommend printing a few copies, just incase 😉 ) and have your child (or your student) add his/her handprint at the bottom of the page
Be sure to add the year and the child’s age somewhere on the page so you can always remember when the prints were added!
Don’t forget to grab the Back to School Printables Pack that includes lunch box notes, coloring pages, All About Me pages, and even an out-the-door checklist to help your kids be ready to go in the mornings!
Tips for getting the best handprint on your poem about school:
– Print on card stock makes for a more sturdy keepsake
– Have the kids add some coloring or stickers to make it their own! Add the date and/or their age on the page
– You may want to print more than one copy in case the child has difficulty getting a good print on the first try
– Be sure to use kid-safe paints! This is what I use: PAINT
– Get a “cleaner” (less smudged) print by helping the child press straight down, holding a few seconds, then raising the hand straight up
– The space at the bottom should easily fit a handprint. Use a lighter colored paint in case the prints go over the wording it will still be readable. (And it looks super cute!)
– Instead of dipping their hands in paint, use a larger brush to apply the paint to the child’s hands (It’s much less messy!)
– Have lots of paper towels ready to keep the mess to a minimum (baby wipes are amazing for clean-up!)
-Allow to dry completely then add to a frame to keep forever!
Scroll down and complete form to receive the printable poem about school via email!