Pancake cereal is the new viral craze and it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!
Pancake cereal is even more delicious than it sounds! These tiny, mini pancakes in a bowl are going to be your new favorite breakfast idea! Your kids will go crazy for this breakfast idea and don’t be surprised if you love it too! Homemade pancake batter from scratch can be covered with your favorite toppings for a unique and fun breakfast, delicious snack, or even a fun dessert!
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases)
This craze erupted in March 2020 from Tik Tock. I could not track down the original creator of the recipe idea (if you know, please comment so I can credit them!) but we just had to try it out.
It was WAY better than we even expected.
I cannot explain it, but these mini pancakes in a bowl covered in maple syrup- well, they don’t taste like little pancakes. They taste like a big bowl full of yum.
You have to try it.
This is my second favorite breakfast ever- after Breakfast Brownies of course 😉
Follow along on Pinterest for more breakfast ideas!
How to make pancake batter from scratch
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar or honey (you can add up to 1/2 cup if you like a sweeter pancake)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk (I use almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons melted butter (we use Earth Balance soy-free butter for a dairy-free option)
Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
How to make mini pancakes for pancake cereal
Step 1- Prepare batter according to the recipe above. You can also use any pancake batter you love.
Step 2-Preheat your griddle or skillet on medium heat. I use a non-stick surface so I do not have to add butter (a clean surface makes a nice, golden brown pancake!). You can add butter or oil if you like the flavor.
Step 3-Pour batter into a plastic squeeze bottle (the ones you would use for ketchup or candy making )
*NOTE- you may need to cut the end of the bottle just a bit to make the hole large enough to pour.
You can use a food funnel to fill the bottle if you find that easier. I use a measuring cup.
Step 4- Once the griddle or skillet is hot, add dots of pancake batter from the plastic bottle onto the cooking surface. I make mine “batter dots” about the size of dime or nickel.
To get the best circle shape, I put the nozzle close to the pan and squeeze while pulling straight up.
Step 5- Allow pancakes to cook until the top bubbles.
Step 6- Remove from heat and serve in a bowl
Do you flip mini-pancakes?
You do not need to flip mini pancakes this size as long as you allow them to cook thoroughly on one side.
I found it very difficult to flip these in any efficient manner. The best luck I had was to use a bamboo skewer to flip each little one. It worked but as these cook so quickly, you have to be very fast in flipping so they do not overcook.
Do you add milk to pancake cereal?
This one is a purely personal choice.
One of my kids had to try it and she loved it! She added almond milk and said they didn’t get too soggy.
If you are planning to add milk, might I suggest adding a fun, flavored milk such as chocolate or strawberry or even vanilla almond milk. Personally, I add flavored coffee creamer to so many recipes (like S’mores oatmeal or these Pumpkin pie mashed sweet potatoes ) and I bet this would be delicious with 1/4 cup vanilla creamer and 1/4 cup milk!
Pancake Topping ideas:
This is such a fun breakfast to customize! Here are a few ideas:
- Chocolate chips
- Reese’s mini cups
- Whipped cream
- cereal (the boxed kind!)
- chocolate syrup
- marshmallows (make it S’mores pancake cereal with marshmallows, graham cracker pieces, and chocolate syrup!)
- pineapple & shredded coconut
- Strawberry syrup
- Maple syrup
- melted peanut butter
Add a scoop of ice cream and make this breakfast into a fun dessert!
IF YOU LIKE THIS, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Amazing Apple Pie Breakfast Biscuits!
- Fluffy Hot Chocolate Pancake Recipe to warm your heart and fill your tummy!
- Breakfast Apple Nachos Recipe you won’t be able to resist!
- Easy breakfast Pancake sandwiches!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey (you can add up to 1/2 cup if you like a sweeter pancake)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Prepare batter according to the recipe above. You can also use any pancake batter you love.
- Preheat your griddle or skillet on medium heat. I use a non-stick surface so I do not have to add butter (a clean surface makes a nice, golden brown pancake!). You can add butter or oil if you like the flavor.
- Pour batter into a plastic squeeze bottle
- Once the griddle or skillet is hot, add dots of pancake batter from the plastic bottle onto the cooking surface. I make my "batter dots" about the size of dime or nickel. To get the best circle shape, I put the nozzle close to the pan and squeeze while pulling straight up.
- Allow pancakes to cook until the top bubbles. No need to flip as long as they are cooked thoroughly on one side.
- Remove from heat and serve in a bowl
- Add milk (optional!)
- Top with syrup, berries, bananas, chocolate chips or any other topping you like (see article for topping ideas)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.